Three apostles are celebrated in October: James of Jerusalem (the brother of our Lord) on the 23rd, and Simon and Jude on the 29th (tr. From the 28th). St. Luke the Evangelist is remembered on the 18th. St. Luke is both the patron of physicians and painters. He himself was a physician (Col. 4.14), and tradition holds that he painted the first icon, of the Virgin Mary. The feast of St. Francis of Assisi is 4 October. Francis reminds us of the fact that all of God’s Creation is to be honored. There will not be a blessing of animals on Saturday the 6th because of a conflict with diocesan Deacon School. October includes the commemoration of many martyrs. Ignatius of Antioch (d. 115) is commemorated on 17 October. He is remembered for his letters written to churches as he journeyed to his execution in Rome. These letters are of such an authority that the early Church debated seriously whether they should be included in the Bible. William Tyndale is remembered on 6 October. Tyndale championed the use of the Bible in the vernacular, and translated all of the New Testament, and parts of the Old Testament, into English. Many of the famous King James Version renderings of Jesus’ saying find their origin in Tyndale’s translation. He was executed in 1536, with his dying words being, “Lord, open the eyes of the king of England!” On the 13th (transferred from the 15th, to allow for the annual pilgrimage) we remember Our Lady of Walsingham. The Blessed Virgin Mary appeared to Lady Richeldis de Faverches, a devout English noblewoman in the village of Walsingham, in Norfolk, England, in 1061. Lady Richeldis had built a Holy House in 1053, modeled upon the structure in which Our Lady received the annunciation of Jesus’ conception from the angel Gabriel. It was in this Holy House that Richeldis received her vision, and the site became a focus for pilgrimage, with this cult increased due to the popular devotion that England was itself under the special protection of Mary, with the land being her dowry. The cult also was popularized by reports of healings from the water from the spring in the Holy House, and by royal patronage. On 24 September 2017 the Roman Catholic bishops of England once again consecrated the land to be Mary’s dowry! The shrine at Walsingham was destroyed in 1538, during the suppression of the monasteries under Henry VIII. Revival of the site occurred first in 1897, by order of Pope Leo XIII, with the Anglican shrine being revived in 1921. Just ten years later, the North American shrine to Our Lady was established here at Grace Church. The details of this establishment may be found on our parish website. See the separate article in this newsletter for details of the pilgrimage festival to be held on Friday and Saturday, 12 and 13 October. The Feast of Our Lady of Walsingham falls, actually, on 24 September. We observe the October date for our pilgrimage because this is the feast of the translation of Our Lady’s image (i.e., the reëstablishment of her cult in 1897, 1921 and [here] in 1931). Additional October saints of note: Remigius of Rheims (d. 530, apostle to the Franks; feast 1 October); Therese of Lisieux (“The Little Flower of Jesus”, d. 1897; feast 3 October), and the patron of the parish’s “Guild of the Little Flower”, which provides all flower offering used in worship); and Edward the Confessor (d. 1066; feast 13 October), whose statue is the second from the left on the reredos behind the high altar at Grace.